The rally’s focus is to combine continued agitation for the rights of all asylum seekers and refugees with speaking out against the genocide in Gaza, the Ukraine war, and the build up to war with China, an unthinkable nuclear war scenario. Further, we want to emphasise that war creates refugees.
The speakers confirmed for the rally are:
- Thamilselvan Selvakumar, Tamil Asylum Seeker on Bridging Visa
- Susan Connelly, a Sister of St Joseph
- Craig Foster, Refugee Advocate, Australian Republican Movement
- Ms Reem Borrows, Palestinian advocate, Arab Council Australia
- Shaye Candish, General Secretary, NSW Nurses & Midwives Association
The new Albanese Labor government last year provided permanent protection visas to 13,000 Temporary Protection Visas and Safe Haven Enterprise Visas but continues to leave over 10,000 more on Bridging Visas in long-term limbo, and continues to abandon 52 refugees who remain stuck in PNG with little prospect of resettlement, left with no financial support and now in a very precarious situation. The government has recently sent 11 asylum seekers to Nauru, where the detention camp had been empty since Junee last year. The current flyer is attached in two formats.
Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, now in its third year, has caused huge loss of life, destruction of property and generated 14 million displaced people, and now it is eclipsed by the genocidal war in Gaza. The Palm Sunday rally continues to be a platform to respond to these catastrophes.
The Australian government must be convinced to support a vision for peace, rather than stoking the fires for war, including the AUKUS preparations for war with China. In the meantime, the Australian government must take refugees fleeing Palestine, Ukraine, Afghanistan and other war zones, as well as stop persecuting those here already who are denied protection.
We ask that you:
- Endorse the rally to be held at 2pm on Sunday March 24 around the slogans: Peace not War; Permanent Visas for All Refugees; Scrap AUKUS Nuclear Subs; War creates Refugees. Send your logo to: firstname.lastname@example.org so that it can be displayed on the next round of promotions.
- Advertise the rally through your organisation’s publicity networks. We can send you posters or leaflets advertising the event if you can make use of them. There is also a Facebook event that you can share or invite people to at https://www.facebook.com/events/948764969947708
- Make a donation towards the rally costs. Make a direct transfer to Sydney Peace & Justice Coalition BSB 082-024; Account Number 561401082. Reference: 2024 Palm Sunday
Thank you in anticipation of your support,